In 2017 TIF-HELEXPO took the strategic decision to redevelop the whole Fairgrounds area and assigned the creation of a Master Plan for the site, in order to ensure the a priori consent of the spatial planning authorities for this competition, as well as an equal background for the competitors.
The Master Plan for Thessaloniki ConfEx Park, designed by the urban planner Dimitris Doumas winner of the tendering procedure in 2018, defines specific zoning guidelines which incorporate: land use GA (General Arrangement) plan, specific plan for building lines (maximum coverage), maximum heights and maximum total floor area, circulation network design and the connection of the open spaces with the adjacent areas as well as with the main axes of the City.
The Master Plan aims to restore the urban space cohesion between the Site and the central area adjacent to its western boundaries, as well as to strengthen the role of the open spaces within the Site, suitably interconnected with those of the surroundings.
Within the Master Plan area, the Site is an area of 161.769,04 sqm and divided into 6 sectors according to land uses:
- Sector I and II, in which the exhibition facilities will be developed. The division of the exhibition facilities into two sectors (sector I and II) resulted from the different specified maximum allowed height of the buildings
- Sector III will include the business uses with development of commercial, office, recreation and hotel facilities
- Sector IV will include the development of the new Conference Center along with a luxury exhibition space. This sector is intended to operate together with sectors I and II as a complex, not only due to the significant exhibition space required, but also due to the full compatibility of both uses, as many of the events in the ConfEx Complex will be mixed (exhibition/conference)
- Sector V, in which the large open space will be developed
- Sector VI, the preserved AAMTH area with its surrounding open space.
Master Plan Zoning Division
The permitted land uses by sector are shown in the following table:
Ancillary uses in each sector are to be incorporated relatively within the buildings of each sector respectively.
Sector V, which includes all the buildings to be preserved except the AAMTH, is defined as the open space of the ConfEx Park. Combined with the open spaces of the other sectors, it will form a single open space with green areas integrated to the urban tissue.
The Master Plan also defines the Maximum allowed Building Area (Total Floor Area*) and Coverage Rate as follows:
1. Maximum Building Area = 96.000 sqm applied to the entire site (the AAMTH excluded)
2. Maximum coverage = 45% applied to the entire site.